Monday, August 22, 2011

Reading: I Am America (and so can you!)

The first book I am reading for the school year is called I Am America (and so Can You!) by Stephen Colbert.  I was stuck with this book because I ran out of time to run to the library.  This book was in my sister’s room and was probably the only one in her room that was not about hippies, the sixties, or some sort of classic rock band.  Stephen Colbert is most commonly known for his late night comedy show The Colbert Report.  Having never seen his show, I could still get a sense for his character and humor within the first few pages.  He is a very opinionated person who makes fun of everyday issues and groups.  Many of these issues can be related to popular political topics.

Colbert uses a unique writing style in this book.  Mainly to keep people entertained and interested.  Many times there will be small phrases written in red in the margins.  These phrases are often funny or completely contradicting what he just said in the actual paragraph. I may not agree completely with every idea in the book, but it is not off putting enough for me to want to stop reading.  Colbert also tends to throw in content that has little connection to what is going on in the chapter.  For example one line is, "Red means stop, Green means go, Purple means Wednesday."  That was one of the arbitrary rules that parents should use to keep the respect and authority in their families.  Colbert stays serious throughout this whole book too even when giving ideas he knows is ridiculous.  So far this book has been enjoyable to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment